Nona’s Apple Pie with All Butter Crust combines layers of tart Granny Smith apples tossed in a cinnamon sugar mixture and a super flaky crust.
I’m a firm believer in real butter and always use it in my pie crusts. After experimenting with butter vs. shortening vs. a mix, I decided I prefer butter. The crust always comes out light and flaky. You’ll be sure to get all the complements when you make this crust! Make sure to keep it super cold and protect it while baking with a pie crust shield – Find it on Amazon.
Fill that all butter pie crust with a tart and sweet apple for the best flavor. When I’m not using apples off of my backyard tree, I use Granny Smith apples. They have a firm texture, with a little tartness that balances well in a sweet pie. That balance is absolutely necessary so it’s not too sweet.
Ingredients in Nona’s Apple Pie with All Butter Crust
- Apples – Granny Smith apples or your favorite tart apple.
- Cinnamon – Saigon Ground Cinnamon from Costco is my favorite – Find it on Amazon.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar – Find it on Amazon.
- Flour – Regular all purpose flour – Find it on Amazon.
- Butter – Real butter, make sure it’s super cold.
- Egg – One egg for that beautiful color on the crust.
Keep your sweet tooth happy with these favorites. Take advantage of summer peaches with this Apple Bourbon Peach Pie. It has just a splash of bourbon to brighten all the flavors. Caramel Apple Spice Cakes are a fall favorite. You will love the sticky caramel sauce. No Bake Banana Dream Dessert is twist on the classic banana pudding. A favorite in our house especially since it is no bake.
Nona’s Apple Pie with All Butter Crust
- 8 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and cut in 1/4" slices
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. butter cut in 4 equal pieces
All Butter Pie Crust
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter cold
- 1/4 cup very cold water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Let sit while you make crust.
All Butter Crust
- Place flour in large bowl, grate in cold butter, crumble together with flour, add very cold water while pressing/mixing together to form dough. Divide into two equal balls. If your kitchen is warm, refrigerate dough in saran wrap until cold.
- Throw some flour on your counter, roll out one ball of dough. Place this in the bottom of your pie dish and mold edges. Place prepared apples over crust. Place the four pieces of butter on apples. Roll out second ball of dough. Using a sharp knife, cut strips to make your lattice crust. Place strips over apples, weaving a design, if desired.
- Whisk together egg yolk and water, brush over crust. Use a crust shield for the edges of the pie while baking. This keeps the delicate crust from burning. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake until golden brown on top, about an hour. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.
We’d love to hear what you thought. Drop a comment and let us know your thoughts. Maybe you loved it, maybe you added more salt. Tell us in the comments.