Chorizo-Poblano Tortilla Bake an easy weeknight dinner with layers of corn tortillas, chorizo, poblano and creamy jack cheese.
Imagine a Mexican inspired lasagna with layers of corn tortillas, melty cheese and spicy chorizo. Leaving the edges of the tortillas exposed creates a crispy texture that is out of this world delicious.
Ingredients in Chorizo-Poblano Tortilla Bake
Help me and I’ll help you – Shop Amazon.com to find any items with a link.
- Chorizo – Ground pork sausage with Mexican inspired spices. Please don’t grab the tube kind – it’s all grease and little meat. Look in the meat section near the ground pork or sausage.
- Creamed Corn – One can of creamed corn – Find it on Amazon.
- Monterey Jack Cheese – I like the creaminess of using just jack cheese in this recipe.
- Corn Tortillas – Yellow corn tortillas, Find them on Amazon.
- Poblano Peppers – Sometimes called pasilla peppers at the grocery.
- Onion – Yellow onion, plain and simple.
- Toppings – Top with your favorites, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, queso fresco or salsa.
Get that baked cheesy Mexican vibe going on with these favorites. Chorizo and Jack Enmoladas are basically enchiladas but with mole sauce. Love seafood? Try Dungeness Crab Enchiladas, you won’t be disappointed. Prefer a mild green sauce? Enchiladas Suizas are for you!
We’d love to hear what you thought. Drop a comment and let us know your thoughts. Maybe you loved it, maybe you added more salt. Tell us in the comments.
Chorizo-Poblano Tortilla Bake
- 8 oz. ground chorizo
- 1/4 yellow onion diced
- 14 oz. creamed corn
- 8 oz. monterey jack cheese grated
- 8 yellow corn tortillas halved
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 1 avocado sliced
- Roast poblanos by placing on a sheet pan under broiler until charred on all sides. Remove from oven and cover with lid. Set oven temp to 375 degrees.
- Peel charred skin off poblanos and discard. remove seeds and stem. Cut roasted poblano into strips. Set aside.
- Saute onion in a dry pan over medium high heat. Add chorizo, breaking up with spoon until browned. Add can of creamed corn and remove from heat.
- Assembly: In a square baking pan, cover bottom of pan with half the tortillas. spoon over half of the chorizo mixture, then half of the cheese, repeat layer of remaining tortillas leaving a few pointy edges exposed for crispy texture, top with a layer of poblano peppers, remaining chorizo mixture and cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree over for 30 minutes. top with queso fresco, cilantro and sliced avocado.