Sticky Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Rolls celebrate fall with pumpkin cream cheese frosting and sticky caramel pecan topping.
We take The Best Cinnamon Rolls recipe and add pumpkin puree then slather with pumpkin cream cheese frosting. A very creamy, fluffy frosting with pumpkin puree and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Taking it a step above is the final layer of sticky caramel pecan topping that drips over the edges and seeks in all the folds. Imagine your favorite sticky bun combined with your favorite cinnamon roll, then add a little fall pumpkin to the mix.
The caramel topping is great for many uses. Make extra, omit the pecans, and store in a condiment bottle. This sweet caramel sauce can be used in your morning espresso, as a dip for sliced apples and drizzled over just about anything. I like to top pancakes, waffles and my Banana Dutch Baby with caramel sauce.
Ingredients in Sticky Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Puree – Such as Libby’s Pure Pumpkin in a can – or you can make your own using small pumpkins.
- Pecans – I buy the Costco bag and store in the freezer, as nuts can be expensive.
- Lemon – Lemon juice or the juice of a fresh lemon.
- Egg – One preferably farm fresh egg.
- Spices – Ground cinnamon and nutmeg make for that fall flavor.
- Pantry Items – Flour, sugar, dark brown sugar, confectioner’s sugar, active dry yeast, vanilla, salt.
- Dairy Items – Butter, heavy cream, sour cream and cream cheese.
Get baking with these other delicious pastries. Sneak in your vegetables with Bright & Citrusy Lemon Zucchini Scones. Try our classic The Best Cinnamon Rolls for buttery, flaky cinnamon rolls and get your fall vibes going with Caramel Apple Scones . All these Out West Food & Lifestyle recipes are perfect for beginning bakers.
Sticky Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- ¼ oz. package quick rise yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup warmed milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 1/4 cup or 3/4 of a 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 4 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup or 1/4 of a 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- 4 tbsp. butter room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup pecans rough chopped
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- In a small bowl combine yeast and warm water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine warm milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of the flour and combine. Add yeast mixture and slowly add remaining flour until combined enough to knead on lightly floured board. Knead dough for about 10 minutes, then roll out into a rectangle approximately 16 x 10 inches (It doesn’t need to be perfect).
- In a medium bowl combine all of the filling ingredients. Spread evenly over the rolled out dough.
- Starting on the long side furthest away from you, roll dough evenly towards you, creating a long roll.
- Cut into 6 slices and place in a buttered and sugared baking dish.
- Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown on edges, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Blend all ingredients together until creamy. When cinnamon rolls are cooled, spread frosting over top.
- Toast pecans on a sheet pan on lowest rack under broil until no longer chewy, about 3 minutes (be careful not to burn).
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add dark brown sugar and stir until combined. Add heavy cream and vanilla. Cook for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and add toasted pecans.
- Pour caramel pecan mixture over frosted cinnamon rolls.