Orecchiette Pasta with Chorizo and Kale is creamy, saucy and packed with bits of bacon, shallot and freshly shaved parmesan.
This comforting one bowl meal is ready in minutes, so you can sit back and enjoy. Grab a glass of wine and some crusty French bread. You’re going to want to sop up all that delicious sauce.
A note about chorizo: There are many different kinds of chorizo. This recipe calls for ground chorizo that has the appearance of ground pork. My favorite is from Hempler’s located locally in Ferndale, Washington. It is considerably different than the tube style chorizo found in most grocery stores. The difference is the quality of meat. I do not use the tube kind as it is primarily greasy oil consistency.
Ingredients in Orecchiette Pasta with Chorizo and Kale
- Orecchiette Pasta – Known as ‘little ears’
- Bacon – Good smoky bacon cut into lardons (strips)
- Chorizo – Ground chorizo (not the kind in the tube) See note below
- Shallot – One good sized shallot, thinly sliced
- Garlic – Minced garlic
- Kale – A bundle of fresh kale
- Broth – Chicken broth such as Better Than Bouillon
- Cream – Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan – Fresh shaved parmesan is best in this recipe
Pasta is a vessel to showcase your favorite flavors. One of my favorite flavor combinations is Seafood and Sweet Corn Pasta. The flavors of fresh summer finds and tender seafood pair perfectly together. When you come across rich and buttery crab, try Dungeness Crab Capellini. It’s simple but elegant. Vegetarian friends will love this hearty Mushroom Chive Pappardelle. Switch out the mushrooms for ones you have foraged.
Orecchiette Pasta with Chorizo and Kale
- 4 strips bacon cut in lardons
- 8 oz. ground chorizo
- 2 cups orecchiette pasta prepared according to package directions
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups kale rough chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan plus extra for garnish
- Brown bacon lardons in a large pan over medium-high heat. Remove and set aside on a paper towel. Remove excess bacon grease from pan.
- Add ground chorizo to pan, breaking apart as it browns. Add shallot and garlic stirring to soften.
- Pour in chicken broth and let it simmer for a minute or so. Add heavy cream, fresh grated parmesan and prepared orecchiette pasta. Stir well to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with French bread and lots of extra parmesan on top.
We’d love to hear what you thought. Drop a comment and let us know your thoughts. Maybe you loved it, maybe you added more salt. Tell us in the comments.