These savory Mushroom-Thyme Hand Pies deliver big flavor. Flaky butter crust, earthy mushroom and sharp white cheddar. Eat them all now or freeze for later.
The best thing about these Mushroom-Thyme Hand Pies is that you get a bite of the flaky all butter crust in every bite. They are so easy to make and can hold a variety of flavor combinations. This savory version features button mushrooms, caramelized onions, fresh thyme leaves and sharp white cheddar cheese. You get the bite of the mushroom, the tang of the white cheddar cheese and that fresh thyme to cut right through the richness. As soon as they hit the cooling board, they were gone! Into the mouths of my taste testers. But if you do happen to have leftovers, just freeze them in individual bags. They are super easy to reheat in the oven.
Mushroom-Thyme Hand Pies
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup yellow onion sliced in thin rounds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cup mushrooms, your favorite sliced
- 1 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 tsp fresh thyme leaves, removed from stem
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup butter grated (with a cheese grater)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp cold water start with 1 and gradually add if needed
Make the Crust
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt and butter until crumbly. Add cold water, starting with 1 tbsp and continuing to add 1 tbsp at a time until dough starts to form together. (You shouldn’t need more than 3 tbsp)
- Press together into a smooth ball. The less kneading the better. Cover with saran wrap and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
Make Mushroom Filling
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Saute onions for about 3 minutes , until golden.
- Add another 1 tbsp butter and the olive oil to the pan. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently until browned. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Keeping the pan over medium heat, add 2 tbsp butter and stir until melted. Add flour and continue stirring until bubbly and foaming. Add beef broth and whisk until smooth and starting to thicken. Add mushroom mixture back to pan and thyme leaves. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Roll Dough and Fill
- Remove your dough from the fridge and cut into 2 equal parts. Then, cut each into another 5 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 4 inch round, use small plate or bowl and cut around the edges.
- Fill each round with 1/4 cup mixture and 1 tbsp white cheddar cheese. Fold in half and press edges down to seal. Using a fork press against the edge to crimp and seal. Slice 2-3 thin air holes in the top. Place in freezer for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Freeze any extras for later use.