Smoky, creamy, a little bit rustic and ribboned with the subtle flavor of tarragon makes this Out West Smoked Salmon Corn Chowder a Pacific Northwest favorite.
The Pacific Northwest is known for seafood, rustic cuisine and well, let’s face it….RAIN. Seattle averages 38 inches annually, which means we like our chowder. We make chowder out of anything from classic manila clam, to geoduck and my favorite, this Smoked Salmon Corn Chowder.
A little bit fancier than the classic clam chowder, we add tender corn, red bell pepper and tarragon together with creamy baby red and white potatoes. Tarragon is a French herb that adds a distinct flavor and pairs so nicely with seafood. It also is known to be a powerful antioxidant that can boost your immune system. Perfect for the winter season.
- Smoked Salmon – You want the hot smoked salmon as opposed to the cold smoked salmon. It is cured, then cooked with heated wood smoke.
- Corn – Fresh off the cob is best, frozen would be the next best choice.
- Potato – Red and white baby new potatoes are best for this dish.
- White Cooking Wine – Just a simple white wine.
- Tarragon – My favorite herb to add to seafood dishes giving a light licorice flavor like fennel or anise.
- Paprika – For color and a little spice.
- Cream – Heavy cream, sometimes called whipping cream.
- Chicken Broth – If you have seafood broth, use that, but chicken broth works just as well. I like Better Than Bouillon brand.
- Red Bell Pepper, Shallot & Celery – Add to the overall flavor.
- Flour & Butter – Combine to make a roux to thicken the chowder.
If you LOVE seafood, try this OUT WEST favorite FARM STYLE CLAM CHOWDER using fresh clams
- Sauté celery, shallot and red bell pepper in one tablespoon butter over medium high heat until just softened.
- Add white cooking wine and sauté an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth, simmer about 10 minutes until tender.
- In a separate sauce pan, melt two tablespoons butter over medium heat and stir in flour to create a roux. Turn heat to low and add two ladles of chicken broth from the potato mixture into the roux. Stir quickly and combine with potato mixture.
- Stir in smoked salmon, corn, cream, tarragon, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for at least 20 minutes. Serve with crusty French bread.
Out West Smoked Salmon Corn Chowder
- 3 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ cup celery diced
- ½ cup shallot diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 1 ½ cups red and white baby potatoes sliced in rounds
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ lb smoked salmon roughly broken into pieces
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tsp tarragon dried
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp. butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add celery, shallot and red bell pepper and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add white cooking wine and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth, simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. While potatoes are cooking, make roux.
- Roux: In a small saucepan heat 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat until melted. Add flour and stir constantly until smooth. Turn heat to very low. Using a ladle, spoon 2 ladles of broth from potatoes into roux and stir quickly and remove from heat.
- Immediately stir roux into chowder mixture, stirring until combined.
- Add smoked salmon, corn, cream, tarragon, paprika and salt and pepper and stir until combined.
- Simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring regularly. More is better so the flavors combine and next day is even better.
More Soups, Stews & Chowders
Shop These Products on Amazon
OUT WEST: Food & Lifestyle is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. Help support my passion by shopping these links: