Coca-Cola Pulled Pork Sliders are rich and tangy with creamy apple carrot slaw on a white cheddar toasted slider bun.
Using Coca-Cola when cooking pork roast adds such a nice caramelized outer crust that is hard to get when cooking in liquid, but this method sears the roast first, sealing in all the flavor and cooks in cola for extra flavor and color.
My friend made a batch of pickled jalapenos and for my birthday I was lucky enough to get a couple jars, which meant I needed a recipe to use them with. I just happened to have apples on hand and they hold up nicely in this slaw, which can be kept in the fridge for a day, in case you have leftovers! This recipe is pretty easy and can be made in a slow cooker, but you won’t get the same outer crust.
Ingredients in Coca-Cola Pulled Pork Sliders
- Pork Roast – Picnic pork roast is ideal for this recipe as it pulls easily with less fat than a pork butt.
- Cajun Seasoning – I use Tony Chacheres or Zatarains.
- Brown Sugar – Either dark or light, but I prefer dark.
- Dijon Mustard – A nice brown or Dijon mustard.
- Coca-Cola – Two regular cans or 4 mini size cans.
- Onion – Sweet yellow onion, quartered.
- BBQ Sauce – I use Stubb’s Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce.
- Slider Buns – A nice brioche bun or French roll works well.
- Cheese – Tillamook white cheddar cheese for that sharp taste.
Love a good messy sandwich? We put our spin on the classics and you better roll your sleeves up! Try our kicked up Fried Chicken Sandwich with poblano cream sauce and pickled red onions. Or maybe you want to get really messy with our Hot Chicken Sandwich, the jalapeno buttermilk sauce is so delicious. If you’re serving a crowd try the Chipotle Shredded Beef Torta, it’s bite size and perfect for guests.
If you’re trying my recipe, make sure to leave a comment. I would love to hear your feedback. These recipes have been made several times to get them just perfect for you to make at home. If you happen to catch something that may make it easier to follow or you just love the recipe, make sure to comment!
Coca-Cola Pulled Pork Sliders
- 1 5 lb pork picnic roast
- 1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup brown mustard
- 1 tbsp bacon grease or lard
- 2 cans Coca-Cola
- 1 medium yellow onion quartered
- 1/4 cup Stubb's Sweet Heat BBQ sauce plus extra for serving
- 1/4 cup water if needed
- 8 slices Tillamook sharp white cheddar cheese
- 8 slider rolls buttered
Carrot Apple Slaw
- 1 carrot peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 1 apple peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 1/2 cup cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 splash milk to thin
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Rub roast with brown mustard. Massage in Cajun seasoning and brown sugar.
- Heat a large heavy bottom pan over medium high heat.
- Place bacon grease in pot and sear roast, rotating sides until browned all over.
- Add Coca-Cola, onion, BBQ sauce and water if needed. Liquid should come to half way up the roast.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 4 hours or until when pierced with fork, meat pulls away in strands.
- Pull pork into strands, toss with a little BBQ sauce diluted in a splash of water.
- Toast buttered slider buns with a slice of cheese on the top half.
- Pile on the pulled pork and apple carrot slaw.
Carrot Apple Slaw
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, milk, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine vegetables and toss with mayonnaise mixture.
- Serve over shredded pork on a slider roll. Add pickled jalapenos. if desired.