The Best Dungeness Crab Cakes are packed full of delicious Dungeness crab, a little minced celery, red bell pepper and Panko breadcrumbs.
The best crab cakes have just enough breadcrumbs to hold together the Dungeness crab meat, giving you the full flavor of rich, buttery crab. Packed full of jumbo lump meat that you can see and taste with every bite.
Perfect bite sized as an appetizer. Pair with your favorite dipping sauce like spicy sweet chili sauce, roasted pineapple and habanero or more of a traditional creamy dill sauce. These Dungeness Crab Cakes will disappear at your next party.
For a dinner entrée, I like to serve full size Dungeness Crab Cakes over creamy mashed potatoes topped with sautéed fresh corn off the cob and sugar snap peas. For an Asian inspired twist, serve with sautéed baby bok choy and hoisin sauce.
Dungeness Crab Cakes can be frozen, if desired. Place a small piece of parchment paper between the cakes and freeze in a Ziplock bag. Although, I truly believe fresh is best, sometimes it’s good to have a few frozen items for those emergency situations.
- Dungeness Crab – Fresh Dungeness crab is found on the west coast and has a rich, buttery taste like no other.
- Celery – Celery adds a light, fresh taste to the crab cake.
- Red Bell Pepper – Minced fine, adds color and sweetness.
- Garlic – One small clove of fresh garlic.
- Panko Bread Crumbs – Unseasoned Panko is light and adds just enough to bind the Dungeness crab together.
- Mayonnaise – Plain old regular mayonnaise.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently fold ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Form into either 8 large or 16 mini balls and then press to cake shape.
- Place crab cakes on a sheet pan and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place pan over medium heat, add oil and brown each side of crab cake.
- Remove to sheet pan and place in oven to finish cooking for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or with lemon wedges.
Dungeness Crab Cakes
- 1 lb. Dungeness crab cleaned and shelled
- 1/2 cup celery minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Gently mix Dungeness crab, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, Panko bread crumbs and mayonnaise together.
- Form into either 8 large crab cakes or 16 mini appetizer crab cakes. Cup together in your hands to form a ball first, to make sure all ingredients stick together. Now press out gently to round shape. This recipe uses the least amount of filler possible, so you really want these crab cakes to form a nice shape before cooking.
- Place crab cakes on a sheet pan and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to set ingredients.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook crab cakes in oil on each side until browned. Work in batches to ensure even cooking.
- Place browned crab cakes on sheet pan in 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes to continue cooking.
Shop These Products at Amazon
OUT WEST: Food & Lifestyle is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. Help support my passion by shopping these links: