Sweet and spicy Mango Shrimp Lettuce Bites are topped with fresh mango salsa and wrapped up in delicate butter lettuce.
These little Mango Shrimp Lettuce Bites are my favorite thing to make for an impromptu dinner because they come together so quickly. In just about 15 minutes you can have these prepared and ready for the table. I always like to keep a bag of large shrimp in my freezer for times when you need a quick protein. Maybe you forgot to plan dinner or you have surprise guests show up. Shrimp can be thawed in very little time. I like to set them in a bowl under a gentle stream of cold water until thawed.
While the shrimp are thawing, mix together a quick mango salsa. Mango is used two ways in this recipe and it really adds to the depth of flavor. Mango puree combined with garlic chili sauce and a few other key ingredients coats the shrimp before sautéing. Pull it all together on delicate butter lettuce leaves.
Mango Shrimp Lettuce Bites
- 16 large shrimp, shelled, deveined
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup mango nectar
- 1/4 cup garlic chili sauce with the rooster on it
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 large mango, peeled, cubed
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced (remove seeds for mild salsa)
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 squeeze lime 1
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce, individual leaves removed
- 1 lime
- Combine all ingredients together and set aside.
- Pat shrimp dry.
- Combine shrimp, mango nectar, chili garlic sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Place shrimp in pan and saute until opaque on one side. Flip and continue on other side until fully cooked through. About 2 minutes on each side.
- Place a shrimp or two in each piece of butter lettuce. Top with mango salsa. Serve with lime wedges.
Leave a Reply