Red Wine Braised Short Ribs are first seared then cooked low and slow until fork tender with tender mushrooms and herbs in a pool of polenta.
One of the simplest restaurant quality recipes to make at home. This dish takes very little effort and produces a beautiful, comforting one pot meal. Meaty beef short ribs seared to seal in all the flavor and slow cooked in a blend of red wine, beef broth and herbs. The short ribs take center stage when served over a creamy pool of polenta.
Cook the polenta according to package directions. When thickened, add a tablespoon of butter and a splash of cream to take it to the next level of creaminess. I love how the polenta makes for a perfect place to let the red wine sauce pool and circle in the bowl. For this recipe, I used Bob’s Red Mill Polenta sold at most grocery stores.
Ingredients in Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- Beef Short Ribs – Individually cut beef short ribs, thick and meaty.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – One full bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Mushrooms – An 8 oz. package of whole white or cremini mushrooms.
- Beef Broth – Better Than Bouillon made with a heavy hand, add a little more to your water mixture.
- Shallot – A large shallot adds a subtle onion garlic taste.
- Garlic – I use pre-minced garlic that I keep in my refrigerator.
- Carrot & Celery– Add carrot and celery for a deep, rich flavor when cooking low and slow.
- Herbs – Bay leaves, rosemary and thyme, all fresh if possible.
- Pantry Items – Salt and pepper.
Enjoy more comfort food recipes like this. From Classic Cottage Pie with spiced ground beef, tender carrots and peas topped with creamy potato cheese mixture to Out West Cowboy Steak Chili with Fritos and cotija. And that perfectly browned side dish Serrano & Potato Gratin made with creamy red potatoes.
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- 2 lbs. beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 carrot halved
- 1 stalk celery halved
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1 8 oz. pack white mushrooms whole
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
- 3 cups strong beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pan over medium high heat.
- Season all sides of beef short ribs generously with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to hot pan and start searing seasoned beef short ribs on each side until browned. Drop in carrot, celery, shallot, mushrooms and garlic. Pour in full bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and the beef stock. Drop in the rosemary, bay leaves and thyme.
- After the liquid has come to a high simmer, reduce heat to low and cook for about 3 hours, uncovered. Leaving the pan uncovered will result in a reduced red wine sauce, which is what we are looking for.
- When fork tender, remove and serve over polenta, mashed potatoes or pasta.