Spicy Dill Pickle Potato Salad with Bacon combines new potatoes with creamy dill dressing, Fresno chilies and my favorite spicy dill pickles.
Calling all the dill pickle lovers – this one’s for you. I use my classic dill dip as a creamy dressing for this flavorful potato salad. The tender new potatoes really hold on to all that creamy dill flavor. This potato salad has been our family favorite Summer side dish. It all started when I was short on time and had to whip up a quick party dish.
I always have dill dip and fresh cut vegetables in my refrigerator for easy, healthy snacks. Something I learned from my mom. Remember Uncle Dan’s dill dip? I grew up on that. These days, we make our own homemade dill dip and that’s exactly what inspired this Spicy Dill Pickle Potato Salad with Bacon.
Being short on time led to using my dill dip as a dressing for potato salad. Deciding to take that dill flavor to the next level was the addition of Grillo’s Spicy Dill Pickles. They’re a permanent fixture in my refrigerator. Read more below and find the link to see where you can pick up these tasty pickles.
Ingredients in Spicy Dill Pickle Potato Salad with Bacon
- Yellow New Potatoes – Also known as baby potatoes, creamy and perfect for soaking up all the flavor.
- Bacon – Thick cut hickory smoked bacon is preferred.
- Fresno Chili Pepper – Red, Fresno chili pepper is spicy and has great flavor. Can sub for Serrano.
- Grillo Spicy Dill Pickle Spears – Fresh, crispy, cold pickled spears of deliciousness.
- Green Onions – Chopped green onions add freshness.
- Eggs – Hard boiled eggs, farm fresh, of course.
- Sour Cream – I use our local Tillamook sour cream.
- Mayonnaise – The combination of mayonnaise and sour cream perfects the creaminess.
- Dill – Both fresh and dried dill for an extra dill flavor.
- Garlic Salt – Lawry’s garlic salt is the only kind I use.
I like a crisp, fresh tasting dill pickle. When I found Grillo’s Pickles in the refrigerator section of my local grocery store, I knew I would be a fan. Their motto ‘ Crisp. Clean. Fresh. ‘ is exactly what you get. Grillo Pickles are cold pickled, which means they use simple ingredients like garlic, vinegar, dill, salt and grape leaves to bring you the freshest, crispiest pickles around. I use Grillo’s Hot Pickle Spears in my Spicy Dill Pickle Potato Salad with Bacon.
Spicy Dill Pickle Potato Salad with Bacon
- 1.5 lb. yellow new potatoes
- 5 strips thick cut bacon
- 1 small Fresno chili pepper minced
- 1/2 cup Grillo spicy dill pickle spears chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 large hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1/2 cup Dill Dressing (below)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh dill minced
- 2 tbsp. dried dill
- 1 tbsp. Lawry's garlic salt
- Boil the potatoes until just fork tender. Drain and let cool.
- Cook the bacon until browned, then cut into lardons or strips.
- Prepare the eggs by boiling until hard boiled, let cool, then slice into rounds.
- Place prepared potatoes, cooked bacon lardons, Fresno chili peppers, spicy dill pickles, green onions and sliced hard boiled eggs in a large mixing bowl. Fold in dill dressing until coated. Serve right away or refrigerate for up to two days.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, fresh dill, dried dill and Lawry's garlic salt in a small bowl until creamy. Save any remaining dressing in the refrigerator. This can also be used as a dill dip for vegetables.