Fire roasted poblano stuffed with creamy Oaxaca cheese and crumbled sausage, wrapped in smoky bacon and served on a plate of corn crema
One of my favorite dishes to make are Bacon Wrapped Poblanos. I’ve made them a million different ways, but this might just be my favorite. If you’ve ever tried a poblano pepper, sometimes called pasilla pepper, you know that one time you’ll get a spicy one and other times they have a definite kick to them, which makes this sweet corn crema the perfect way to eat these up! These babies are stuffed with a creamy Mexican melting cheese called Oaxaca and spicy crumbled sausage, them wrapped up in a smoky piece of bacon. You’ll want to make extra of these!
Bacon Wrapped Poblanos are hearty enough to serve as a main dish or perfect for an appetizer. Serve with Enchiladas Suiza and a plate of freshly shredded lettuce, sliced tomato and avocado. If you are having friends over, set out a couple poblanos, a batch of Frijoles Charros, your favorite tortilla chips and pico de gallo for an Out West inspired gathering.
Bacon Wrapped Poblano
- 5 poblano peppers (pasilla peppers)
- 1 lb hot ground sausage
- 10 oz Oaxaca cheese, grated (found in Mexican section of dairy)
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cup corn, frozen
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 tsp sugar
Bacon Wrapped Poblano
- Heat oven on broil
- Place poblano peppers on sheet pan and broil on each side until blackened
- Remove from oven and quickly place in a bowl with lid. Leave here for about 5 minutes to allow the skin to steam off. After 5 minutes, remove and place on cutting board.
- Carefully, using the back side of your knife, scrape off the blackened skin. Make a small slip in one side of the pepper and remove seeds.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, cook sausage untl browned and crumbled.
- Place bacon slices between two thick paper towels and microwave for two minutes, cooking partially. Set aside.
- Stuff peppers with 1/5 of cheese and 1/5 of cooked sausage.
- Wrap a piece of par cooked bacon around each pepper and secure with a toothpick.
- Place on a sheet pan and bake for about 10 minutes while you make the corn crema.
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Saute onion until softened about 2 minutes. Add corn and cook another two minutes. Add chicken broth, cream, cilantro, lime and sugar. Remove from heat.
- Blend mixture using an immersion blender or pour into a standard blender and blend until creamed.
- Place a ladle of the corn crema on plate, set poblano on top and serve with desired garnishes such as lime and cilantro.
Leave a Reply