Zesty Mexican Inspired Avocado Toast combines layers of pinto beans, smashed avocado, pickled onions, Cotija cheese, cilantro and a fried egg on a bolillo roll.
If you like avocado toast, you will love this Mexican inspired version that uses a fresh Bolillo roll. This Mexican roll can be found in the bakery section of your local grocery store. They are the perfect size for building all the layers of this Zesty Mexican Inspired Avocado Toast a.k.a Avocado Molettes. Molettes are a Mexican sandwich using refried beans as the base and usually melted cheese. Our version is an open faced breakfast molettes with a sunny side up egg dripping over fresh cilantro, radish, pickled onion, smashed avocado, refried beans and a toasted Bolillo roll.
- Bolillo Rolls – Mexico’s version of the baguette only shorter like a roll. it’s crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. Usually found in the bakery section of your grocery store and a key ingredient in this Zesty Mexican Inspired Avocado Molettes.
- Refried Beans – I like to make my own by simmering soaked pinto beans in chicken broth with carrot and onion, then gently smashing with a fork. You can also use canned, but the flavor will be a little different.
- Avocado – Smashed roughly with lime, salt and pepper.
- Quick Pickled Onions – Red onions get pickled in just 15 minutes.
- Bacon – Thick cut bacon cooked in the oven.
- Cilantro – Fresh sprigs of cilantro.
- Radish – Thinly sliced radish
- Eggs – Fried egg – farm fresh is best and has a nice yellow yolk.
- Cotija Cheese – Mexican crumbly cheese similar to feta.
- Make the Quick Pickled Onions by soaking thinly sliced red onions in white vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Make the Smashed Avocado by smashing avocado together with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Warm the refried beans and keep warm until ready to use.
- Cook the bacon in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Butter and broil Bolillo roll halves.
- Fry eggs in butter over medium high heat until whites are firm and yolk is runny.
- Assemble: Spread some refried beans on Bolillo half, top with a little smashed avocado, some Quick Pickled Onions, cilantro, radish, Cotija cheese and your fried egg on top. Serve with bacon on the side.
Zesty Mexican Inspired Avocado Toast
- 8 strips thick cut bacon
- 2 Bolillo rolls split
- 2-3 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups refried beans
- 4 eggs
- 4 radishes sliced thinly
- 15 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 cup red onion sliced thinly
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large avocado
- 1 wedge lime
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the Quick Pickled Onions and the Smashed Avocado (see recipe below).
- Warm the refried bean in a small pan over medium heat.
- Place bacon strips on a sheet pan and cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on either wire rack or paper towels to catch the grease.
- Butter each half of the Bolillo rolls.
- Turn oven to broil and broil the Bolillo rolls until just browned. Remove from oven.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp. butter to the pan and let it melt.
- Crack each egg separately in the pan and fry. Using a spatula, gently pull any egg white towards the egg yolk to create a nice round shape.
- After about a minute, add 1 tbsp. water to the pan and cover. Cook until egg white is opaque and egg yolk is slightly soft to the touch. Remove from heat.
Quick Pickled Onions
- Heat white vinegar, sugar and salt over medium heat until just hot. Place thin sliced red onions in a small bowl. Pout hot vinegar over red onions. let site for 15 minutes.
- Peel and peel the avocado. Place avocado in a bowl and roughly smash with a fork. Squeeze the juice from your lime wedge over the avocado, salt and pepper generously.
- Spread about 1/4 cup warmed refried beans on each toasted Bolillo half.
- Next, spread 1/4 of the Smashed Avocado over the warmed refried beans.
- Add a few sprigs of fresh cilantro, some pickled onions, sliced radishes and a fried egg.
- Garnish with Cotija cheese and either crumble bacon or eat on the side.
Shop These Products at Amazon:
OUT WEST: Food & Lifestyle is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. Help support my passion by shopping these links:
Leave a Reply