Poblano Corn Tortilla Soup
Crunchy tortilla chips soak up the flavorful broth in this Poblano Corn Tortilla Soup garnished with cilantro, lime and Queso Oaxaca
- 1 tbsp. lard or vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 7 oz. can fire roasted green chilies
- 3 cups Poblano chili quartered, seeded, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups fresh corn cut off the cob
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-2 pinch cumin
- 1 small corn tortilla crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro rough chopped
- Thick tortilla chips, cilantro, Queso Oaxaca and lime for serving
Sauté onion and garlic in lard or vegetable oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
Add can of fire roasted green chilies with juice.
Add sliced poblano peppers and sauté another 3-5 minutes until softened.
Add corn, chicken broth, salt, cumin and cilantro. Bring to a simmer.
Slowly stir in crumbled corn tortilla and continue to simmer on medium low for at least 30 minutes.
Ladle over 4-5 thick style tortilla chips and top with Queso Oaxaca or Monterrey Jack cheese, more cilantro and a squeeze of lime.