White Chicken Poblano Chili
Creamy White Chicken Poblano Chili with hearty beans, flavorful poblano and bits of sweet corn.
- 2 lb skin on chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp bacon fat or vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 serrano pepper minced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 4 poblano peppers roasted, skin/seeds removed and sliced (can sub canned green chilies)
- 1 lb dried navy beans, soaked overnight or about 4 cans navy beans, drained
- 6 cups good chicken broth I use Better than Bouillon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 can Muir Glen diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
Brown chicken thighs in bacon fat or vegetable oil over medium high heat in your large soup pot. Transfer chicken to sheet pan and finish cooking in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until cooked through.
Saute onion, serrano pepper and red bell pepper in the same pot with the chicken drippings for 2 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer until chicken is cooked, about 45 minutes.
Removed chicken thighs from oven, remove skin and shred. Add shredded chicken to soup pot OR serve as a topping along with sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips and more fresh cilantro.