Green Chile Tortilla Soup with Shredded Chicken
Green chile and cumin scented chicken broth with traditional corn tortillas for an authentic texture, topped with shredded rotisserie chicken and cotija cheese.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large shallots, halved and sliced thinly
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pasilla pepper, halved and sliced in strips
- 14 oz fire roasted green chiles
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder or cayenne
- 2 cubes Knorr tomato chicken bouillon
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cilantro, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen
- 1 small corn tortilla, torn into very small pieces
- 18 tortilla chips
- 1 lime, sliced in wedges for serving
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese for serving
Saute shallot and garlic in a soup pot over medium heat, stirring continuously for 2-3 minutes.
Add diced green chile and pasilla pepper, saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, cumin, chipotle powder, tomato bouillon and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and add cilantro, corn and torn corn tortilla.
Continue to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Taste test for salt.
Serve in bowl and garnish by floating 3 tortilla chips in broth. Top with cilantro and cotija cheese. Place lime on side.