Classic Cottage Pie is made with spiced ground beef, tender carrots and peas. Topped with creamy potato cheese mixture and carrot tops.
Talk about easy! The Classic Cottage Pie checks all the boxes. Pantry recipe, YES. One pot meal, YES. Under 30 minutes, YES.
Budget friendly ground beef is browned with garlic, onion, smoked paprika and a pinch of red pepper flakes for added spice. The best part, though, are the creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes that are browned to perfection on top. Blending a creamy cheddar with a pungent Parmesan really adds flavor. If you have a few carrot tops, garnish the top for extra special presentation.
Classic Cottage Pie
- 4 russet potatoes peeled
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup medium cheddar cheese grated
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cube tomato chicken bouillon (Knorr's in Mexican section grocery)
- 1/2 tsp beef 'Better than Bouillon' bouillon
- 2 cups potato water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place peeled potatoes in a pot of lightly salted cold water and bring to boil. Boil until fork tender. Reserve 2 cups of potato water. Drain and return to pot.
- Using the tines of your fork, 'rice' the potatoes until fluffy.
- Add butter and blend.
- Add whipping cream and blend.
- Fold in cheese and set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large cast iron pan over medium high heat. Drain excess fat, leaving about 1 tbsp in pan.
- Push ground beef over to one side of the pan. Add garlic, onion and carrot. Saute until almost tender. Add peas and combine with ground beef.
- Add tomato chicken and beef bouillon, potato water and remaining spices. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon potato mixture over top of beef filling. Broil until browned. Top with fresh carrot tops or parsley.
This Classic Cottage Pie can be reheated with ease! Just pop it in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with salad or fresh cheddar biscuits.
Make it Your Own
Add your favorite ingredients to make it your own. Here are a few ideas:
- Switch out mashed potato topping for mashed cauliflower topping
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup parsnip
- Mix up the cheeses in the potato topping with sharp white cheddar or smoked cheddar.