Savory Roasted Broccolini Strata with bacon, caramelized onion and white cheddar is a make ahead dish perfect for brunch.
Savory Strata – Packed with Veggies
Roasted broccolini adds a savory nutty flavor to this make ahead strata. Combined with sharp white cheddar, sweet caramelized onions and smoky bacon for super easy one dish recipe that looks fancy on your brunch table.
The best two things about this Roasted Broccolini Strata are the custard soaked pieces of bread that add SO MUCH TEXTURE because the corners get all crunchy from the oven…..AND the fact that this is not only a one dish recipe, but also make ahead. So, the next day all you do is pop it right in the oven and just like that – No MESS No WORK just simple Deliciousness.
Roasted Broccolini Strata
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 sweet onion halved then sliced
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 3-4 cups stale french bread cubed
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar grated
- 1 cup Monterrey jack cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut off ends of broccolini stalks, then lengthwise in half.
- Place broccolini on sheet pan, making sure to spread out evenly. If you crowd broccolini on pan, it will steam and you want roasted.
- Drizzle broccolini with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until easily pierced with fork, but still firm.
- Remove from oven and rough chop, leaving some large pieces for that rustic look.
- Butter a casserole dish or cast iron pan.
- Brown the bacon strips in a large pan over medium heat. Remove bacon and rough chop.
- Saute onion in the same pan you cooked the bacon in, over medium high heat, using the bacon fat to caramelize the onions until just tender.
- Beat eggs and heavy cream together in a bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Combine cubed bread, onion, bacon, roasted broccolini and cheeses together. Place in prepared casserole dish or cast iron pan (I like to arrange a few broccolini pieces artistically on top).
- Pour egg mixture over bread mixture in prepared pan.
- Cover with foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to eat, preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until starting to brown. NOTE: If using a cast iron pan, you may need to reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes or so.
- Make it vegetarian – Just omit the bacon
- Can’t find broccolini? Use broccolli instead
- Try a variety of cheeses, like provolone