Grilled Potato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette is a flavorful addition to your table with fresh herbs, bacon, chopped egg and pickled peppers.
Sliced Yukon Gold potatoes are grilled before soaking up a light, somewhat creamy shallot vinaigrette. Nestled in amongst the potato slices are bits of Mama Lil’s Peppers, smoky bacon, hard boiled egg, garlic scapes and chopped dill. The combination of vibrant flavors and textures make this a favorite side dish.
If you have never grilled potatoes, the first step is to par boil them. The goal is to boil them until a fork can pierce through the outside, but there is still resistance on the inside. You want them to be firm enough to slice and stay in a firm round for grilling. Once par boiled, they can be sliced in about 1/4 inch rounds, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper then placed on the grill.
Now you’re ready to combine all the ingredients and bring on the most flavorful potato salad you’ve ever had. Place your grilled potatoes, sliced boiled eggs, chopped bacon, Mama’s Lil Peppers, fresh dill and garlic ramps in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and gently toss to coat. You can use your discretion on how much dressing to put on, but I like to really coat the potatoes. Grilled potatoes tend to soak up the dressing pretty quickly. Add more fresh dill to the top before serving.
Ingredients in Grilled Potato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette
- Potatoes – Yukon Gold potatoes are a great choice because they’re tender and creamy.
- Bacon – Thick cut hickory smoked bacon tastes especially good in this dish.
- Eggs – Hard boiled eggs sliced in rounds and gently folded in.
- Mama’s Lil Peppers – A slightly spicy pickled pepper found in the condiment aisle.
- Dill – Fresh dill for this recipe, plus extra for garnish.
- Garlic Ramps – Found seasonally at farmer’s markets, used for flavor and texture.
Fire up the grill and try these amazing main dishes that pair perfectly with Grilled Potato Salad. Flanken-Cut Short Ribs slathered in smoky raspberry chipotle sauce cook in minutes. Sweet & Spicy Salmon is a beautiful centerpiece for your backyard gathering and Chipotle Cherry Spare Ribs are a crowd favorite.
Grilled Potato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette
- 6-8 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 strips thick cut bacon cooked and rough chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 tbsp. Mama Lil's Pickled Peppers chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic ramps chopped (can sub green onions or chives)
Shallot Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/4 cup shallot thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. agave
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place whole potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until just pierceable with a fork. Don't overcook. You want them still firm in the middle. Drain, let cool then slice in 1/4 inch rounds.
- Toss potato slices in olive oil and place in a single layer on prepared grill. Keep a close eye on them, turning as needed, making sure to get nice grill marks. When cooked though and tender on the inside, remove from grill and place in mixing bowl.
- Drizzle in Shallot Vinaigrette Dressing and gently toss to combine. Fold in chopped bacon, sliced hard boiled eggs, Mama's Lil Peppers, fresh dill and garlic scapes. Garnish with more fresh dill.
Shallot Vinaigrette Dressing
- Combine shallot, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and agave in a small bowl. Whisk in red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.