Orecchiette, Ham and Kale Soup with a flavorful bone broth, creamy diced potato, and plenty of shaved parmesan on top.
This hearty Italian soup gets its rich flavor from simmering chicken broth with meaty ham bone. Pieces of tender ham become part of the soup, and the collagen gives the broth body.
Bone broth is not only excellent for adding flavor, but it has many health benefits as well. Vitamins and minerals seep out of the bone while simmering into the broth, where they can be easily consumed.
Ingredients in Orecchiette, Ham and Kale Soup
- Orecchiette– Pasta shaped like little ears are perfectly bite size.
- Ham Bone – That ham bone you’ve been saving from holiday dinner. Don’t worry if you didn’t save one. Grab one from the meat dept. or just add cut-up ham steak.
- Kale – Lacinato kale is my first choice. It’s firm and holds up well in soup.
- Potato – Creamy Yukon potatoes work well, but any potato will do.
- Chicken Broth – Better Than Bouillion brand is my go-to broth for full flavor.
- Onion – Yellow onion, real simple.
- Celery – Finely diced celery adds fresh flavor without even knowing its there.
- Shallot – Soft and subtle onion flavor.
- Basil – Fresh basil for that sweet herby flavor.
- Parmesan – Using a paring knife, shave a few pieces off for garnish.
Get cozy with favorites like Black Eyed Pea Soup, a hearty comfort bowl with bits of ham and carrot. Indulge in cheese heaven with Bistro French Onion Soup. It’s rich and flavorful with slowly caramelized onions. Need a light, but warm your soul soup? Poblano Corn Tortilla Soup is my personal favorite. Flavorful broth with bits of poblano pepper and corn topped with tortilla chips and cilantro.
We’d love to hear what you thought. Drop a comment and let us know your thoughts. Maybe you loved it, maybe you added more salt. Tell us in the comments.
Orecchiette, Ham and Kale Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup shallot mined
- 2 tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes diced
- 6 cups water
- 3 tbsp. Better Than Bouillion – Chicken *See Note 2
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 meaty ham bone *See Note 1
- 1/2 cup dried orecchiette pasta *See Note 3
- 2 cups Lacinato kale packed cups, ribs and stems removed; leaves torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade
- fresh shaved parmesan for garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add olive oil. Sauté onion, celery, shallot and garlic for 1-2 minutes until just softened.
- Add potatoes, water, Better Than Bouillon, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Place ham bone in the pot. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, checking from time to time and using a fork to remove bits of the ham from the bone.
- Remove ham bone. Add kale, basil and orecchiette if using (See Note 3) and continue to cook until pasta is tender.
- Serve topped with shaved parmesan.