Farro, Brussels Sprouts and Pecan Salad lightly fried with thinly sliced shallot, shaved parmesan and balsamic glaze.
A filling vegetarian dish served alone as a meal or add a protein like in our Halibut with Farro Salad. It’s one of those really satisfying dishes that covers all aspects of flavor, from crunchy toasted pecans to pungent grated parmesan and sweet balsamic glaze. Stir fried together with shallot, garlic and brussels sprouts for a twist on the classic fried rice.
Farro is an ancient grain that combines three different types of wheat for a nutty taste with a bite. It’s perfect for bringing to your family pot luck or gathering because it really hold up over time. In fact, this dish is even better the next day. Just save the parmesan and balsamic glaze for when you are ready to serve.
Ingredients in Farro, Brussels Sprouts and Pecan Salad
- Farro – Quick cook Farro, such as Safeway’s O Organic’s Farro Quick Cook.
- Brussels Sprouts – Shredded with a handful of leaves left whole for texture and appearance.
- Pecans – Toasted and rough chopped.
- Shallot – Thinly sliced and lightly stir fried.
- Garlic – I use minced garlic that I keep in my refrigerator.
- Balsamic Glaze – Such as Nona Pia’s Balsamic Glaze.
- Parmesan Cheese – Freshly grated for serving.
- Avocado Oil – You could also use olive oil.
Try these similar salads that double as a meal. Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad studded with pomegranate seeds that look like jewels, perfect for the holiday season. Roasted yams add an earthy sweetness in Fall Salad with Pecans, Yams and Cotija and Farro, Brussels Sprouts and Pecan Salad gets topped with pan seared halibut in Halibut with Farro Salad.
Trying my recipe? Make sure to leave a comment. I would love to hear your feedback. I make my recipes several times to get them just perfect for you to make at home. If you happen to catch something that may make it easier to follow or you just love the recipe, make sure to comment!
Farro, Brussels Sprouts and Pecan Salad
- 1 1/2 cups farro (one 8 oz bag of quick cook farro) cooked and cooled
- 5 tbsp. avocado oil divided
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted
- 3 cups brussels spouts shredded
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. balsamic glaze
- 1 cup fresh parmesan grated
- salt and pepper
- Prepare farro according to package directions, let cool.
- In a large pan over high heat, add 4 tbsp. avocado oil, then add cooled farro and stir fry for a few minutes. Remove to serving bowl.
- In the same pan, add remaining 1 tbsp. avocado oil. Then add shallot, shredded brussels spouts and garlic. Stir-fry for a few minutes until brussels sprouts are just softened. Fold mixture into prepared farro.
- Toast pecans in a 350 degree oven or air fryer for about 2-3 minutes. Rough chop and fold in farro mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle in balsamic glaze and top with grated parmesan.