Old fashioned lace cookies get stepped up Seattle style and dipped in dark chocolate espresso with hazelnut crumb.
Walks to the local bakery with my grandmother were one of my favorite adventures, possibly because it lead to a cookie of my choice! Peering through the glass display case, I would always pick the old fashioned lace cookies. Sometimes they were plain, and sometimes dipped in chocolate. I loved how the edges were slightly crisp from the caramelized sugar.
My version of the classic old fashioned lace cookie gets a Pacific NW twist by getting dipped in dark chocolate espresso and Oregon hazelnuts PLUS there’s hazelnuts in the oatmeal lace for added crunch . Seattle is famous for espresso and ever since I found these Nestle chocolate chips with espresso I’ve been finding all sorts of uses for them. The dark chocolate espresso gives a rich, almost sinful bite to the cookie and the hazelnuts add a bit of nutty crunch. Some may say they go perfectly with a glass of red wine (insert wink emoji).
Virtual Cookie Party
Want more cookies? @cosetteskitchen and fellow cookie lovers are sharing our favorite cookie recipes. Head over to Instagram: search #virtualcookieparty2019
Or scroll to the end of this post and get the links to all the cookies.
Tips for Making These Cookies:
- Measure exactly 1 Tbsp. of dough when placing on baking sheet.
- These cookies more then double in size when fully baked.
- Use parchment paper (they stick to foil).
- Keep a close eye on when baking – They are quick!
- Completely cool before dipping in chocolate and hazelnuts.
Chocolate Espresso Dipped Hazelnut Lace Cookies
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts chopped
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup) melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 oz espresso chocolate chips (half a 9 oz bag Nestle Espresso Morsels)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts chopped
- Lace Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, hazelnuts, flour, light brown sugar, melted butter, egg, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
- Place 1 tbsp cookie dough on parchment lined baking sheet. Give cookies extra space, as they more than double in size. I placed 4 on each baking sheet. (If you place too close together, they will spread out and all melt together)
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Make sure to check frequently. You want the sugars to create a nice golden, caramelized edge that will be firm enough to remove from baking sheet, but not crisp.
- When cool, dip first in melted chocolate espresso, then in hazelnuts. Place on parchment paper to set.
- Place espresso chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in increments of 50 seconds, stirring between each session until completely melted. (About 2 minutes)
- Place chopped hazelnuts in a small bowl.
- Peppermint Mocha Cake
- Polish Babka Rumowa (Rum Cake)
- Alexa Blay – Gluten Free Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Anita Parris Soule – Cranberry Rosemary Tassies
- Ashley Cuoco – Stamped Citrus Shortbread
- Ashley Pelaez – Brown Butter Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Candice Walker – Dark Chocolate Gelt w/Matcha Mousse
- Casey Colodny – Paleo Soft Ginger Cookies
- Christine Ma – Southern Butter Pecan Skillet Cookie
- Cindy Feingold – Chocolate Dipped Mint Sandwich Cookies
- Cosette Posko – Tahini Pinwheel Cookies
- Dana Matarweh – Cranberry Orange Halaweh Cookies
- Dena Qaddura – Mamoul Date Cookies
- Elizabeth Waterson – Viennese Whirls
- Erin Kowal – Date Drop Cookies
- Gina Fontana – Cookie Dough Stuffed Dates
- Hetal Vasavada – Rose Shortbread Cookies
- Irene Matys – Matcha Kourabeides
- Jean Choi – Cranberry Pistachio Paleo Chocolate Cookies
- Jenny Goycochea-Marker – Dark chocolate raspberry cookies
- Justine Martin – Matcha-Dipped Shortbread Cookies
- Kate Ramos – Peppermint Mocha Milk Fudge
- Kathleen Culver – Triple Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Kathryn Broullire – https://wornslapout.com/rocky-road-chocolate-bark
- Kimberlee Ho – White chocolate peppermint ice cream sandwiches
- Kristine Hinterkopf – Smoked Sea Salt and Bourbon Cowboy Cookies
- Lily Morello – https://www.lilymorello.com/lilybubbletea-blog
- Lisa Fredrickson – Dirty Chai Earthquake Cookies
- Megan Horowitch – Vegan Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Mike Johnson – Chocolate Peppermint Macarons
- Omayah Atassi – The Best Gingersnap Cookies
- Rezel Kealoha – Polvoron – Filipino Shortbread Cookies
- Rylee Foer – Spiced Honey Cardamom Cookies with Orange Glaze
- Sandy Leung – Matcha sugar cookie tree
- Tamara, Tina, Tara – Lawzena Cookie
- Tawnie Graham – Holiday White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Taylor – Mulling Spice and Orange Marmalade Thumbprint Cookies
- Taylor Carson – Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Tristin Rieken – Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies
- Vanessa Calderone – Chocolate Caramel Pecan Shortbread cookies
- Wafa Shami – http://www.palestineinadish.com
Leave a Reply