Lightly fried goat cheese medallions sit ever so delicately on this inviting summer salad with fresh, seasonal greens layered with cucumber, radish and garden peas. Perfect as a main dish or served with grilled protein.
Whether you have your own vegetable garden or frequent the local Farmer’s Market, you can create a beautiful salad from your bounty of produce. During these hot and unusually muggy days of summer, we look towards quick, fresh dinner ideas. This salad takes all those seasonal veggies and layers them into a beautiful summer salad. It is so pretty that it almost doubles as a table centerpiece with beautiful scalloped edged butter lettuce and lacy arugula. Halved pea pods, thinly sliced radish and cucumber add a whimsical and artsy touch. And who doesn’t like fried cheese?
It’s All About The Goat Cheese
For this recipe, you want to look for an 8 oz. goat cheese log. It makes life easier to simply cut the log into 1 oz. medallions instead of trying to form them. I used herbed goat cheese, but feel free to use any flavor that tickles your fancy. You can get goat cheese in a variety of flavors from plain to garlic herb and even truffle flavored. You’ll want to keep the goat cheese refrigerated until ready to fry, that way it holds its shape and you end up with perfectly round medallions. Nestle them in the layers of salad just before serving.
Looking for Similar Recipes?
Summer Salad with Fried Goat Cheese Medallions
- 1 head butter lettuce torn
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 radish sliced thin
- 1/2 cucumber sliced thin
- 1 cup snap peas sliced with a few cut lengthwise to expose peas
Fried Goat Cheese
- 8 oz goat cheese log sliced into 8 rounds
- 1 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tbsp shallot minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar can sub rice wine, balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar can sub honey or agave
- salt and pepper
- Layer butter lettuce, arugula, radish, cucumber and snap peas in a large salad bowl.
Fried Goat Cheese
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a large saute panver medium high heat to cover thickness of goat cheese medallions.
- Coat each goat cheese medallion in flour, then egg, then Panko.
- Gently fry each goat cheese medallion until golden brown on both sides. Remove to a wire rack or paper towel.
- Arrange fried goat cheese medallions over salad and serve with your favorite dressing or use my favorite vinaigrette.
- Whisk all ingredients together. Drizzle over salad.