Penn Cove Mussels in Red Curry Broth
Local Penn Cove mussels steamed in a coconut red curry broth
- 1 lb Penn Cove mussels debearded
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup carrot julienned
- 1/2 cup sweet onion julienned
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper julienned
- 1 jalapeno julienned
- 1 large garlic clove rough chopped
- 1/2 stalk lemongrass halved
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves torn
- Heat cooking oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add carrot. onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, lemon grass and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in red curry paste, letting the spices warm. Then add coconut milk, creamy peanut butter, chicken broth and brown sugar. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes or until carrot has began to soften.
- Remove vegetables from pot and set aside in a small bowl.
- With the liquid simmering, add mussels and basil and cover. Steam mussels until they open.
- Serve mussels by scooping mussels and a ladle of broth into a large bowl. Place a portion of the vegetables in each bowl and garnish with additional basil, if desired.